Email:
tyler.blanchard@myldsmail.net


Address:

Julio Velazquez-Elder Tyler Blanchard
Po. Box 1486
Presidio, TX 79845

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Week 1 (MTC)

Tyler's First Letter from the MTC:

   I don't know where to start, the days are just so full of activities and classes that it feels like we have been here forever. The food here is pretty good and there is something new for every meal, we have had things like steak, pulled pork sandwiches, turkey with potatoes, domino's pizza and everything comes with a dessert. Sometimes the they are brownies, or cake, or pie, and no matter what there is always ice cream available.



     We spend a lot of time studying or in class. I am glad that I took Spanish in school because the teachers only speak Spanish. I felt bad for some of the Elders in my class that had never taken a Spanish class before. I know a lot of vocabulary and I am able to understand almost everything but I suck at grammar and conjugation so I talk like a caveman.

     Spanish class was kind of boring at first, because the lesson consisted the teacher saying a simple phrase in Spanish and us repeating, like como se llama, or como esta. It has gotten a lot better now because we are learning about things like the difference between ser and estar or about grammar rules so it's been better.

      On the third day we had to teach our first lesson in all Spanish to an investigator (who is just a guy who works here at the MTC that plays the part of an investigator that speaks no english) the lesson ok because one of the books we were given was a book filled with gospel phrases. So far we have taught this investigator four times and we will continue doing so every couple days for the rest of our time at the MTC. 

    They told us that we have to prepare a five minute talk for every Sunday because we might get randomly get asked to speak in Sacrament meeting. It's not too bad we have decided as a district (the group of ten Elders that we go to classes and lunch with) to write the talks as a group. Also there are only like thirty people during our sacrament meeting because they split everyone up in to what are called zones. 

      The Elders in our district are all really cool. The district leader Elder Kyle Burnette is from Riverton and he is Conner's cousin, he worked with Daniel at fantasy con, and he says Daniel looks like Thiago. Elder Burnette and his companion, Elder Hatch, share the apartment with Elder Gumm (my companion) and I. Elder Hatch is pretty cool too, he is from Wyoming, and his mom was a spanish teacher so he knows a good amount of spanish too. My companion and I hang out with these guys the most of the time going to and from class and at lunch and gym.



    There are so many people here that I know from school. In a letter Mom asked if i have seen Elder Paepke, I have seen him and we have talked several times. On a bus ride to Tuesday night devotional we were able to talk and catch up on things. 
     Yesterday we went to the Mexican consulate for our visas. They had us take tracks down to salt lake and while on the train some crazy guy came up and talked with the six of us that were on the train, he was old and skinny and he spit a ton when he talked and he got all over my suit. No one could really understand what he was saying but at one point he wanted us to sing I hope they call me on a mission.

     Overall it's been really fun and not too hard --yet. They have a bookstore and a little grocery store that has anything you could ever want and it's all discounted so I can get anything I need. 



     I forgot your letters back at my apartment and I cant remember the other questions you asked so I will try to answer those next week. Thanks for the cinnamon rolls and the treat box.  

No comments:

Post a Comment